<$BlogRSDUrl$>

A technology blog for The Economist Group IT team

Thursday, May 06, 2004

Two processors good, four processors better?

In trying to find out why Performance Manager shows our IBM x345 series servers as having four processors when in fact they have two (they're dual Xeon 2.0GHz). I came across this great "Introduction to Multithreading, Superthreading and Hyperthreading" on Arstechnica. I don't think that this has any relation to the real Arse here or here (caution: sometimes R rated). Anyway, the Intel Xeon processor supports Intel Hyperthreading Technology, which (they say) makes a single physical processor appear as two logical processors. Seems that we'll need to upgrade the OS from W2K to take full advantage, though.

Gmail

I started using my Gmail account today. I'll let you know how I get on with it's search and other tools...If they want to read my mail, they can. Until someone else offers me 1Gb storage, it seems like a pretty good deal.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?